Adult Faith Formation
In their document, Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us (OHWB), the US Bishops renewed a commitment to fostering faith formation for adults. Since we all are continually being formed in our faith as we walk our journeys of life, a renewed commitment to adult faith formation necessitates a need for quality programming and a variety of opportunities for all adults. The purpose of the Peace of Christ Adult Faith Formation Committee is to offer, plan and implement a variety of faith forming programs and opportunities for adults. See also the USCCB's, Catholic Catechism for Adults.
So it's true, religious education is not only for children. According to the United States Bishops' Document, Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us (OHWB):
Adult faith formation, by which people consciously grow in the life of Christ through experience, reflection, prayer, and study, must be "the central task in [this] catechetical enterprise," becoming "the axis around which revolves the catechesis of childhood and adolescence as well as that of old age." (OHWB #5)
The Bishops outline three key goals of Adult Faith Formation (OHWB #67-73):
- Inviting and enabling ongoing conversion to Jesus in holiness of life:
- helping adults acquire an attitude of conversion to the Lord
- leading adults to repentance of sin, reconciliation through the sacraments and deepening faith in Jesus
- Promoting and supporting active membership in the Christian community:
- helping adults make a conscious and firm decision to live the faith through membership in the Christian community
- inviting and supporting baptized adults in their co-responsibility for the Church's mission and life
- Calling and preparing adults to act as disciples in mission to the world
- inviting baptized adults to evangelization and justice in the world
The Diocese of Rochester has provided these additional links for many opportunities for Adult Faith Formation: Adult Faith Formation Opportunities
Meeting days/times are: Thursday afternoons from 3-5pm in the Parish Office Conference Room. We hope to see you there!
If you have questions, ideas, suggestions, or requests about adult faith formation, contact our Adult Faith Formation Director: Peggie Clark by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: (585) 347-4819. We look forward to hearing from you!